Guide 2 Cycling
How to Choose a Bike
Shorts, Tights & Trousers
Top Safety Tips
Tour de France
Cycling Thermals - What to Wear When Riding Your Bike
A lot of pedestrians looking at cyclists in cold weather imagine that the riders
must be freezing, wet and miserable. However, providing you wear the right gear,
they don't need to be uncomfortable when riding your bike.
The most important thing to remember is that when cycling you need to be able to
easily and quickly change the amount of insulation that you're wearing. When you
first hop on your bike on a cold day, you need to heat up quickly, when you pedal
up the first hill, you'll start to work up a sweat and may even need to cool off,
and when you freewheel down the other side of the hill, the last thing that you want
is the sweat starting to freeze on your skin.
The key to being comfortable is wearing layers of clothing. This way, you can add or
remove layers and thus precisely control your temperature. Furthermore, each of the
layers that you wear serves a different purpose:
The final issue to consider is to make sure that your layers are compatible with each other.
Remember that your outer layers need to be big enough to accommodate both your body and the
inner layers - and you can make this easier by avoid bulky items for the inner layers.
Additionally, you'll want to avoid wearing a mid layer fleece that sticks out from under
your outer jacket (most commonly at the sleeves
or back) as this will tend to suck in both cold air and moisture.
- Base Layer:
The layer closest to your skin is probably the most important one for keeping you
warm, dry and comfortable. You don't want to choose a cotton T-shirt, as cotton
will simply absorb and hold your sweat which will make you feel instantly chilly if
the slightest draught gets to it.
Modern synthetic fabrics such as Coolmax will take the moisture away from the skin,
which is a big advantage. There's no need to buy a vast array of different clothes, as you
can wear the same item in Summer as a jersey, and in Winter as a vest.
On the other hand, if you prefer natural fabrics, you should consider merino wool. This
doesn't retain odours as much as synthetic fabrics, although of course you still need to wash
it every once in a while. Lots of people are deterred from buying wool garments because they
think that they are difficult to wash, however this is a misconception as
most modern wool garments are in fact perfectly capable of standing up to normal 40-degree washes.
- Mid Layer:
The mid layer of your clothing is intended to keep you warm. On very cold days a
fleece is a good choice provided it's not too bulky, but when it's not so chilly,
you'll want something like a long-sleeved jersey in Coolmax.
Whatever you choose, you'll select a breathable fabric, and make sure that the
cut is generous enough that your wrists and the bottom of your back won't be exposed
when you are stretched out on your bike.
One thing to bear in mind is that it's easy to get both cold (from the wind) and
hot (from physical exertion) while cycling, even during a short cycle trip. Many
thin layers are better than one thick layer, because you can add or remove them at will.
Zips are however even better, as you can open or close them to instantly control that
amount of ventilation that you're getting.
- Outer Layer:
The purpose of your outer layer is mainly to keep the weather out. That includes both
the rain and wind.
For your outer layer you want to wear a jacket,
preferably one designed specifically for cycling. As with the mid layer, you'll want
to choose jacket that doesn't expose your
wrists or back when cycling. Additionally, avoid jackets
which are stretched too tightly across your shoulders (because they will restrict
your movement and soon become uncomfortable), or which sag forward when in the cycling
position (because the wind will get in underneath in this case).
Other considerations when choosing a jacket are pockets (for your wallet, keys and so forth)
and safety. In terms of safety, a lighter color will help you
be seen, but if your jacket
has reflective features (or you're prepared to add your own reflective strips), then
even better. Avoid out for jackets with hoods (most cycling jackets don't have them anyway),
as they restrict your vision, especially when turning your head.
Here are some cycling vests:
Disclosure: Products details and descriptions provided by Amazon.com. Our company may receive a payment if you purchase products from them after following a link from this website.
- About the size - Please see the size guide for the recommended size. All measurements are approximated and we strongly recommend you check your own measurements before you place the order. Or you can see other customers' opinions from the Q&A for reference.
- HIGH VISIBILITY - Hi-Viz yellow color with extra light-reflecting tapes placed on the front and back, enhance the visibility greatly. Make sure you can be seen from long distance or in low-light environment. It can make you safer when walking, jogging or motocycling along the road.
- LIGHTWEIGHT BUT DURABLE - The material is lightweight and rip-stop. It is thin but durable.
This basic bike vest is perfect for your daily ride. It can effectively stop the cold winds from sneaking up on you. The surface fabric can also repel small rains. Bright fluorescent color and sufficient light-reflecting tapes ensure you are highly visible under kinds of weather conditions and dark night, keep you safe from coming traffics. Sleeveless and super light design makes you can act freely and comfortably. This vest will be your essential gear for biking.
|Pearl Izumi - Ride|
- One back Hook and Loop pocket; Collar tapers from front to back for on-bike ergonomics
- ELITE Barrier fabric provides superior wind protection and water resistance; Direct-Vent panels provide superior ventilation
- Reflective elements for low-light visibility
The ELITE Barrier Vest is an essential layering piece that's ideal for variable temperatures, changing weather and undulating terrain. Lightweight and packable, it's made with Barrier Fabric for wind and water protection plus a large Direct-Vent back panel for added breathability. Pair it with arm warmers for a versatile system that's perfect for cool-weather rides.
|Pearl Izumi - Ride|
- Elastic draw cord at waist with hidden barrel adjust in the front pockets; Zip-off sleeves and shoulder yoke easily convert the jacket into a vest
- ELITE Barrier fabric provides superior wind protection and water resistance; Direct-Vent panels (on Vest) provide superior ventilation
- Sleeve zips can be partially undone for additional venting
One of the most versatile pieces you can own for changing weather conditions, this all-new design gives you a wind jacket and a vest in one. Simple to convert mid-ride with its zip-off sleeves, the vest delivers core body warmth on cool days. And for more protection in the wet or wind, just reattach the sleeves and go. 360-degree reflectivity helps keep you extra visible in low light conditions.
- ELITE Barrier fabric provides wind protection and water resistance
- Full-length internal draft flap with zipper garage seals in warmth
- BioViz reflective elements for low-light visibility
- Elite barrier fabric provides superior wind protection and Water resistance; Direct-vent panels provide superior ventilation
- One-piece integrated sleeve construction for ease of use and storage
A wind and water resistant shell that quickly converts to a Vest, offering versatile protection in unpredictable weather.
- Material: ForceField micro ripstop
- Length: hip
- Manufacturer Warranty: 1 year
Mother Nature's varying conditions often call for an extra layer -- when a jersey won't keep the drizzle away, but a full jacket is overkill, Castelli's Women's Velo Vest steps in. It's a lightweight, breathable alternative that easily packs in a pocket. Castelli's Forcefield fabric is used throughout the Velo not only for its low weight, but its windproof and water-resistant traits, too. It's a 30-gram, ripstop fabric with a DWR (Durable Water Repellent) coating, so it retains the fabric's natural breathability. Airflow is enhanced further by mesh panels that help ventilate the core. The Velo Vest is cut with a longer back to block wheel spray. And it's held in position with a wide silicone gripper to prevent upward migration. A high collar keeps light rain from running down the neck, and it turns into a stuff pocket for the vest. When packed away, the Velo only takes up half a jersey pocket. For low-light safety, Castelli added a reflective logo and back tabs. The Women's Velo Vest comes in five sizes, X-Small through X-Large, and in the colors Orange Fluo, Lime, and Black.
- Fleece lined inner collar
- Zip off sleeves converts to a vest
- 9" back zip storage pocket with reflective trim
When chillly mornings turn into afternoon sun, the Canari Razor convertible bike jacket keeps you riding in comfort thanks to removable sleeves and lightweight, weather-resistant fabric.
Black Sports Apparel
|List Price: $11.99*|
Lowest New Price: $11.99*
Usually ships in 24 hours*
*(As of 23:04 Pacific 20 Jun 2018 More Info)
- Strategically placed 3M Scotchlite reflective material
- Shock-corded waist
When the storms arise in the middle of your ride, you'll be glad you remembered your Bellwether Velocity vest. Extremely lightweight, this vest offers you wind and water protection.
- The X-Lite 19 fabric is ultralight, wind-breaking, and breathable. The X-Lite Mesh provides optimal ventilation.
- Features a hole in the back for easy access to a jersey pocket to show your race number. The stretch trim provides a good fit.
- Reflective accents provide increased visibility.
In the past, cyclists riding the European mountains would stuff their jerseys with newspapers to insulate their body for the descent. Today, the women's Speedzone X-Lite vest fulfills the same role, but with so much more comfort. Each time you feel the cold start to bite on your bike, pull out this ultra lightweight and breathable vest from your jersey pocket. Instead of suffering from the cold, you'll finish your ride feeling exhilarated.
|Craft Run Apparel|
White Sports Apparel
- Ultra-lightweight woven polyester fabric in front
- Elastic mesh at back for enhanced ventilation and an optimal fit
- The vest packs into its own back pocket and is easily stowable in jersey pocket
- Ultra-lightweight woven polyester fabric in front, 37 gsm
The Craft Sportswear Feather light Vest is ultra-lightweight, wind-protective and water-repellent vest (DWR-treated). Our vest packs into its own back pocket and easily packs into your jersey pocket. There is elastics edging at the bottom to keep your vest in place. Brushed fleece fabric at inner collar for comfort next to skin.
- [CHOOSE 1 OR 2 SIZE LARGER THAN YOU NORMALLY WEAR] Super light and water-resistance make your enjoy cycling in the rainny day
- The breathable mesh on the back keep your cooling all the way! Plus back breathable Window
- The Cuff with elastic band keep the wind and rain out
As professional cycling brand, WOLFBIKE offers a wide selection of cycling sports life including cycling apparel, protective gear, helmets and cycling accessories at high quality yet low price because we are also the manufacturer who can cut off all the middleman expenses. You can expect to find quality materials, professional performance, reasonable price and great customer service in WOLFBIKE.
1. Super light and water-resistance, made make your enjoy cycling in the rain
2. Reflective line on Shoulder and on Back, High visibility, do not need to wear reflective vest when running in the dark
3. The breathable mesh on the back keep your cooling all the way! Plus back breathable Window
4. 1 pocket on the back and 2 pockets on the side with zipper
5. Direct-Vent panels for superior ventilation
6. The Cuff with elastic band keeps the wind out